Some of us feel a little clueless when it comes to what you what you need for babies. What is trendy is not always best. What we are wasting our money on for baby? It's all very confusing. Our personal story is that we traveled A LOT in Boo's first year, back and forth between sunny, car-dependent, hot and humid Florida and cold, snowy, stroller-loving, brownstone-living Brooklyn. Two totally different worlds. I feel like that first year was a complete test in "let's see how much this poor bitch can handle." In that time I think I came up with a pretty great list of stuff that worked for us that I like to share with people whenever they are expecting or having just welcomed baby and have no f*#$ing clue what you need to have and what you should just go ahead and donate now or get out of your damn way. Here is a little list of what I think made my life as a single mom just a little easier in my rookie year.
- Kickee Pants Basic Footies with Paws These are so awesome. First, they are made from bamboo! Soft, sustainable and easy to wash! They also have hand covers to prevent scratching, lined feet for warm tootsies, and they come in cute colors (not just pink and blue!!) They also grow well with baby. They stay pretty true to size and you really want these to fit closely to the body for warmth but also to keep little one cool as well! Babies overheat easily the pjs are really breathable.
- MD Moms Baby Sunscreen Wipes I love all of the products by MD Moms because as doctors and mothers they really have created products for babies and kids that are user friendly and healthy for the entire family. I have been using this on my Boo since he was 6 weeks old (checked with my doc) and continue using these now that he's older.
- Honest Company Diapers and Wipes Let's face it…because they come in really cute prints were my initial motivation. I soon realized my sons sensitive skin was no longer bothered and these plant based, biodegradable diapers are better for the environment than other disposables on the market. Honestly, the cute prints had me hooked though.
- I highly suggest a backpack diaper bag, especially if you're alone and need free hands. I like Petunia Picklebottom's Boxy Backpack. It’s not unusual to think you need everything but the kitchen sink in the diaper bag, but you really don't. A few diapers, some wipes, one extra outfit, one extra light blanket, feeding supplies, one extra shirt for grown up (trust me…spit up doesn't wear well.)
- Love this Ergo Baby Carrier!! I found it more comfortable and breathable than other brands.
- I literally love everything made by Holy Lamb Organics. I made the decision to purchase the crib mattress for Boo. These mattresses are chemical free and naturally water-resistant. It should be a serious consideration. The chemicals in our furniture are no joke!
- This One Step Babyfood Maker by Baby Brezza is so dope! I loved making Boo's baby food. This little contraption made it so easy. It steams, blends all in one step. Just load, select the appraise setting for the food you're making, push start and walk away.
- Stroller Hooks are a total must. You can hang shopping bags, or the diaper bag.
- Function and fashion meet with these Chewbeads. When baby is teething he or she will want to put anything and everything in sight into their mouths. These cute accessories are perfect for Mom and baby alike.
- And last but not least…this mamaRoo swing by 4moms is absolutely amazing. Boo lived in this thing for 6 months. It’s adjustable and pretty indestructible. Hook up your iPod with soothing tunes and baby will easily nap in comfort. Look on eBay or consignment if you can't justify paying a pretty penny for this, but trust me when I say it is a godsend.
Hope these are helpful!
W and Boo