I swore to myself when I was pregnant that I would be a "cool mom." I would dress every day. No pajamas at the grocery for me, dammit! Although it is tempting, don't let your style slip. Often our kids are dressed better than we are but that's not fair (insert adult tempter tantrum here.) You wouldn't send them to school or take them to a birthday party wearing sweatpants and stained t-shirt, so you shouldn't for the sake of "comfort and ease" look like a disaster. This is totally doable with little to no time to spare in the morning with the right combinations of school-drop-off-appropriate pieces, a 5 minute face, and a commitment to stepping up your style game even when you're tired. We know it's easy to fall into a rut, but lets try to remember that you already sacrificed shapely figure, perky boobs, beauty sleep, and patience. From hospital to home, you can still look hot. It's just takes knowing what works in a pinch. This is how I keep from feeling like a fashion failure.
Top 10 go-to pieces for my "mom uniform":
- Don't just throw on any old t-shirt. There is a time and a place for your college team logos, free shirts from random work events, or that ugly thing you scrub the bathrooms in…please, just don't. A tunic top that drapes and hangs nicely on all figures, is the perfect foundation to a great outfit. I own this top in black, white, grey, navy and forest green.
- An exception to the t-shirt rule: vintage is always cool…I love Junk Food Clothing for this very reason. These shirts look great with anything.
- Just say NO to "pajama jeans" or anything you see on an informercial. Go for a legging. They are versatile, comfortable and fashionable, but sony just throw on any old pair of leggings. Look for and purchase leggings with some structure and detail such as faux leather, paneled, jegging in a dark wash, and moto style all offer the comfort and simplicity of a yoga pant (please keep the fitness wear for fitness…really.)
- If you just need a slouchy pant go for a boyfriend cut. Old Navy makes a great pair for all shapes and sizes.
- Gym shoes are for the gym, but I do love a sneaker. Try a Converse All Star Chuck Taylor for comfort and they look great with legging, skinny jeans or a comfy dress.
- If you need a coat (we live in Florida so I don't get wear them as often as I would like) I am currently obsessed with this Lululemon option. Sleek and modern…not frumpy and lumpy.
- Add a scarf any time and any season. I like to get mine from Target or Old Navy.
- Need a dress option? Try this hot Faux Suede Shift Dress. So versatile and a better option than the same old back shift dress.
- If you just have to wear sweats…please…do an Adidas Track Suit. Dope.
- And if you don't have to carry a diaper bag, try a small cross body bag like this one. Black, simple, and goes with everything.
I know that some days are harder than others, but looking good is feeling good.